Anime Review: "Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below" [**+]--- The fantasy is not enough
This story is based on the legends of the underground world(*1). I didn't feel that the story is remarkable. Moreover, I can't understand why the era of the story is based in Japan, several decades ago(*2)
(Please see ANN for detail casts/staffs since the official HP has no English entry)
Unfortunately, all the main characters are neither attractive nor impressive, I feel. The only person who I like is Mr. Morisaki(a relief teacher).
Shinkai says in an interview "The characters look like those of World Masterpiece Theater series(*3)" However, I feel that this work has strong influences from Mr. Miyazaki's old anime works. For example, Morisaki apparently similar to Muska(*4) in Laputa(A castle in the Sky).
[Animation(artwork, and motion): **+]
Shinkai is very good at CG featured expressions. He does good jobs in the work, too. However, the other scenes(including depicting monsters) are just fair.
[The performance of Voice-actors/actresses: **+]
The performance of INOUE Kazuhiko(who played Morisaki) is excellent. However, the performance of the heroine:Asuna(pls see a photo above) is unsatisfactory for me.
Tenmon is the composer of this work like other Shinkai's animes. But I don't like Tenmon's music. The music of this work is just average.
This is not a bad anime, I feel. Taking limited amount of budget into account, it's quite an achievement. Incidentally, I re-recognized the excellence of Miyazaki's old anime works.
I know that Shinkai is a good creator. The point(2.5) is not for the result of Shinkai's talent. But the pioneer is still too great to this day.
2) As a token of the age of the set, Auto-Sanrin(three wheeled car) can be seen in the scenes of Asuna's daily life. Auto-Sanrin was really used till early 70's in Japan. This can be seen in other movies like "Always Sancho-me no Yu-hi[2005, movie]".
- Otaku Ippiki goes abroad: Maid cafe "Maiderland" @Hong Kong(2009.10.24)
- Otaku Ippiki goes abroad: Los Angeles' "Cafe Royal/T" review.(2009.01.18)
- Teatime: LoveLive 2 go @Akihabara(2013.01.10)
- STGCC 2011 @ Singapore: Short Report(2011.11.11)
- Report : Cosfest X.1[06.2011] in Downtown East/Singapore(2011.08.15)